There are so many reasons we’re looking forward to this year’s National Parks road trip. As we get ready to leave, here are 21 of them:
- Seeing a mountain goat on the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park.
- Getting our caffeine fix at Storyville Coffee in Pike Market.
- Celebrating the 4th of July from a backcountry site on Ross Lake, North Cascades.
- Hiking Piegan Pass or Grinnell Glacier trail to see the glaciers before they disappear from Glacier National Park for good.
- Eating ALL THE THINGS in Pike Market.
I can’t remember whether the ricotta/lemon curd crumpet is better than the pesto/tomato/parmesan combination, so ordering them both again is clearly the only solution.
Piroshkies are also high on the list of must-eat-again, as well as char siu sticks from Mee Sum.
And amandine croissants from Le Panier.
And seafood chowder from Pike Chowder. And so on and so forth. You get the idea. 🙂
- Hiking through the wildflowers on the Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm trail.
- Backpacking in Hoh Rainforest, one of the largest temperate rainforests in the US.
- Catching a sparkly vampire in Forks, WA…or a werewolf along the beach in La Push.
- Hiking and camping along the longest natural sand spit in the US, Dungeness Spit.
- Driving what National Geographic dubbed “one of the most scenic drives in the nation,” Going-to-the-Sun-Road in Glacier. So grateful that they finished snow plowing for the season; I was hoping we’d be able to do this drive.
- Backpacking to Toleak Point (Olympic National Park) with my brother, who lives in Seattle.
- Hiking to Iceberg Lake in Glacier National Park…and painting the scene with icy lake water.
- Tidepooling at Shi Shi Beach at sunset, Olympic National Park.
- Linguine alle vongole at Pink Door, Seattle.
- Paying our respects at the Japanese Internment Memorial on Bainbridge Island.
- Soaking in the Ladder Creek Falls light show in North Cascades at night, then backpacking across Ross Dam to Big Beaver the next morning.
- Playing with nostalgic toys at the Museum of History and Industry’s ‘Toys of the ’50s, ’60s, and ’70s exhibit.
- Sugar rush at Top Pot Doughnuts, Seattle. And Krispy Kreme!
- Riding the ferry from Bainbridge to Seattle, a la Grey’s Anatomy.
- Stargazing from our tent in St. Mary, Glacier National Park.
- Paying homage to our 2013 addition to the ABC Gum Wall.
We can’t wait to get started on this list! If you have any suggestions, tips, or advice for Glacier, North Cascades, or Olympic National Park (or anyplace else on the list), we’d be most grateful for any insight you’re able to provide. See you in three weeks…Happy Travels, all!